Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Not So Hot 3G Network

The 3G network that ATT and Apple have been boasting about is not stacking up to the hype. Any user of the new 3G iPhone can tell you that they are experiencing more than just dropped calls. Often, iPhone users are unable to place calls, along with having their current conversations “fail.” The current speculation is that there are not enough satellites to hold the larger than anticipated 3G network of users. At times, it can be so bad that iPhone 3G users are not able to place calls for periods of up to 30 minutes. At first I thought it might be a regional issue. However, I experienced the problems initially in St. Louis, my friends in Chicago are having the same problems, and during my trip to the San Francisco Bay area and Phoenix, the issues were still present. I’ve had my phone looked at by the Genius Bar, and completed all necessary updates. Hopefully this problem will be addressed soon. Otherwise, I would expect ATT and Apple to get a lot of angry customers most likely resulting in discounted monthly statements. I was unable to find any sources discussing ATT’s plans to beef-up the 3G network. Hopefully they have a plan to address the recent problems. I’ll continue to look for reliable information about the current issues and hopefully get some insight as to when the problems will be fixed and we can continue to use our 3G iPhones without major service interruption.

If any readers feel these statements are false, or exaggerated, please comment on your experience.

1 comment:

starbuckluvrr said...

I have had many problems with my LG Shine phone since the new 3G network started in July. I have changed the battery, got a new sim card, and now AT&T is fianally sending me a new phone (but I had to jump through hoops for this to happen). They think my phone is defective. I know this...whenever the green 3G symbol shows up in the left hand corner of my phone, I loose all bars, I cannot make a call, I cannot receive a call, I cannot sent a text, nor can I recieve a text. If I am on a call and the 3G symbol pops up on my screen, the call is dropped. These things happen ALL THE TIME!!!! Before the 3G network, I had NO problems with my phone. Now I am paying for a phone I can only use when it allows me too, not when I need or want too. This is my business phone and I am not recieving calls therefore my business has dropped drastically. I sometimes get the voicemail 2 or 3 days after it was left. Or my phone will beep at me to let me know I have a new voicemail when I am right there but it doesn't ring. This happens in my home as well as out of town and out of state. It's very frustarting! Is anyone else experiencing problems like this with their phones? My phone works fine when the 3G symbol is not there but it seems to be there more often than not.